Madison Magazine is always looking for smart, motivated students and recent graduates to participate in our various internship programs. For all of our internships, the ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines is crucial. We offer the following internships:
Community Relations & Marketing Associate
Date: May 2015-May 2016
Madison, Wisconsin’s award-winning lifestyle and business publication serving more than 153,000+ readers throughout the region is looking for an energetic, self-motivated, hands-on leader to develop, coordinate and manage our important and growing relationships with area nonprofit organizations. This individual will also work on marketing events and growing our volunteer database.
- Manage the online, searchable events calendar to area nonprofits
- Develop and maintain online databases
- Coordinate the nonprofit events pages in the print publication (Datebook & Scenes pages)
- Produce all print and online editorial, advertising, marketing and social media products that support our work with area nonprofits
- Work on TV, radio, print and other promotions
- Perform public relations tasks, such as writing press releases, newsletters and developing strong relationships in the community
- Assist in event planning and marketing, and attend Madison Magazine and other special events
- Coordinate and manage all volunteers for The Madison Magazine Experience events
This is a premier internship opportunity where a motivated individual will have the unique opportunity to work directly with the magazine’s editor and marketing director as well as collaborate with other team leaders in sales, marketing, design, circulation and business, learn about media convergence in broadcast and on the web, and explore his or her particular interest areas.
Hours: 15 hours per week minimum
Deadline: March 15th, 2015
Applicants MUST be familiar with Madison Magazine when applying for this internship! Applicants must also be a student for the duration of the internship and be available Friday afternoons.
Please send a resume, cover letter and three clips, class projects, or work samples you are extremely proud of to:
Website & Special Event Coordinator
7025 Raymond Rd.
Madison, WI 53719
Madison Magazine interns gain valuable experience in the journalism field. Interns write, edit, fact-check and work on special projects with our editorial staff. Past Madison Magazine interns have gone on to work for newspapers, trade publications, UW–Madison, American Girl, freelance for national publications and work for our very own Channel3000.com website as news editor.
The ideal candidate would be a student or recent graduate in the field of journalism, communications, English or a related field. Editorial interns must possess strong writing skills and the ability to work independently and efficiently. Prior experience at a publication of some kind is strongly recommended.
We want you to get as much experience in the magazine publishing business as possible, so as an editorial intern, you will:
- Assist the editors with special projects. Recent examples include our annual Best of Madison awards, Top Docs and Best Places to Work.
- Write articles that will get published in the magazine and online
- Fact-check articles for publication
- Maintain the online restaurant guide
In addition, motivated interns will have the opportunity to learn about media convergence in broadcast and on the web, and explore their particular interest areas.
Hours: 12 hours/week
Deadline: Spring: December 1; Summer: April 1; Fall: August 10. All application materials must be received by 11:59 p.m.
Interns MUST be familiar with Madison Magazine when applying for this internship!
Please send a resume, cover letter and three clips or work samples (preferably published; if you don't have published work, please send appropriate samples to demonstrate your writing ability) via email to:
We're Madison's monthly lifestyle and business magazine, and we're looking for interns to join our team. Photography Internship:
- You will work directly with the Art Director on a wide variety of photo assignments, big and small for print publication including portraiture, architecture, food and product, fashion and photojournalism.
- You may have the opportunity to attend photo shoots with some of our seasoned stylists and photographers to assist or observe in the studio and on location.
- You will receive hands-on experience, tear-sheets and portfolio building skills.
- Candidates should have an expressed interest shooting editorial, magazine-style work.
- A 2–4 year degree in photography is a plus, but not required.
- Access to lighting equipment and digital camera is a must.
- Candidates must be proficient in Photoshop and color correction and should be able to present final files digitally.
Hours: 8 hours per week minimum
Credit: Academic credit for undergrads
Please send a resume and work samples (or web links) to be considered for a portfolio review.
7025 Raymond Rd.
Madison, WI 53719