A Celebration of All Things Cultural, Artistic, and Entertaining in Madison
Jun 9, 2011
Bach with More
For the past twenty years, the month of June for Stephanie Jutt and Jeffrey Sykes has meant one thing: imbuing important chamber music with a serious dose of fun.
The pair’s Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society is a popular summer music series, promising “chamber music with a bang.” Festival themes are playful—Haydn Seek in 2008, Czechs Party Mix in 2004—but the musicians it attracts and the venues in which it’s held are top-notch.
This year’s “20th Season Bacchanale” takes the name Bach to the Future, with six creative concerts held over three weeks, starting this Friday, at the Playhouse at Overture Center, the Stoughton Opera House and the Hillside Theater at Taliesin in Spring Green.
Take a look at the schedule and plot your course. Will you be bach for each performance?
Bach Around the Clock
• Johann Sebastian Bach: Trio Sonata from A Musical Offering for flute, violin, and continuo
• Ralph Vaughan Williams: On Wenlock Edge for tenor, strings, and piano
• Derek Bermel: Nature Calls and other songs for bass and piano
• Joseph Haydn: Symphony no. 101 in D Major, “The Clock,” for flute, strings, and keyboard
June 10, 7:30p, Stoughton Opera House
June 12, 2:30p, Hillside Theater
We Will, We Will Bach You
• Ned Rorem: The Unquestioned Answer for flute, strings, and piano
• César Franck: Sonata for violin and piano
• Johann Sebastian Bach: Coffee Cantata
June 11, 7:30p, Overture Center
June 12, 6:30p, Hillside Theater
The Empire Strikes Bach
• CPE Bach: Quartet in G Major for flute, viola, and piano
• Dmitri Shostakovich: Quintet for piano and strings
• John Harbison: American Painters for flute and strings
• George Gershwin: An American in Paris for two pianos
June 17, 7:30p, Overture Center
June 19, 2:30p, Hillside Theater
Bach of Ages
• Olivier Messiaen: Visions de l'amen for two pianos
• Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenburg Concerto no. 5 in D Major for flute, violin, keyboard, and strings
June 18, 7:30p, Overture Center
June 19, 6:30p, Hillside Theater
School of Bach
• Johann Sebastian Bach: Trio Sonata in C Major for flute, violin, and continuo
• Maurice Ravel: Trio for piano, violin, and cello
• Claude Debussy: Trio for flute, cello, and piano
• Astor Piazzolla: Assorted tangos
• Camille Saint-Saens: Bacchanale from Samson and Delilah
June 24, 7:30p, Stoughton Opera House
June 26, 2:30p, Hillside Theater
The Cradle will Bach
• Samuel Barber: Souvenirs for piano four-hands
• Paul Schoenfield: Bagatelles for flute, cello, and piano
• Johann Sebastian Bach: Chaconne from Partita in D minor for solo violin
• Johannes Brahms: Trio in B Major, op. 8, for piano, violin, and cello
June 25, 7:30p, Overture Center
June 26, 6:30p, Hillside Theater
For more information, visit bachdancinganddynamite.org.
Photo courtesy of the Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society.